Murphy's law is an adage in Western culture that broadly states, "if anything can go wrong, it will." This law governed, ruled and dictated my long trip to the eastern side of the world. However, another popular western saying must also be represented: it could always be worse. Let me start at the beginning....
Tuesday morning I awoke to a very typical Minnesota morning. Below freezing temperatures, a couple feet of snow... you know... the usual. However, I was flying to Korea today so the temperature needed to cooperate. I woke up early to put the finishing touches on my suitcases and was nearly finished when I realised I couldn't find my driver's license. Even though my passport is my main form of identification while I am abroad, they recommend having a second form just in case. Well.... I couldn't find it anywhere. The next hour was spent ripping apart my house searching everywhere for it. It was useless.... it was gone. Now... we are running late and we need to race up to the cities. However, we did manage to snap this photograph before we left. It is my leaving for Korea picture!! (Similar to the first day of school picture.)
We got to the airport in the nick of time. However, it will turn out not to matter. The gorgeous and always reliable Minnesota weather was about to reek havoc with my travel plans. The plane's engines were not working well with the cold weather, so they announced a 30minute delay. Then the plan was too cold on the inside for us to board. Another 30 minute delay. Then the plane had to be deiced. Oh yes... another 30 minutes. We are now on the plane. (Oh by the way.... 5 rows from the back) And the pilot announces that there seems to be some sort of mechanical problem (of course there is). He said it should be just a few more minutes. 3 hours later, with 2 Northwest flight vouchers and 2 free in-flight drink coupons in hand, we pull away from the gate and take off on our 13hour flight to Tokyo. Here is a picture of all the people waiting patiently (sarcasm). 
We arrived in Tokyo 5 hours behind schedule. My connecting flight to Seoul was long gone. More than 100 people missed their connecting flights. On the bright side, if I had flow into, let's say Italy,this would have been a complete disaster. The Japanese are amazing! They had everything taken care of. They booked me on a new flight to Seoul and put me up in a VERY nice hotel where I had dinner and breakfast.
I arrived in Seoul on Thursday afternoon, only 15 hours behind schedule. Eddie, the school manager, picked up me and my two HUGE (overweight) suitcases. See… it could always be worse… I could have lost my luggage!

1 comment:
Oh. My. Gosh! LOL Well I am happy to hear that you made it there in one piece! Sounds like your luck is as good as mine! hahaha! But things will get SO much better now that you're there and can get settled in! Can't wait to hear what else your crazy life has in store for you :)
Love you!
~Lauren (LT)
Post a Comment